
Sunday - a day of worship (check) rest (check) and reflection (double check). But I still have another 6 hours before I go to bed!
Sundays used to be a day when we would sit around the kitchen table, eating mom's gourmet breakfast while dad read scriptures to us and asked about our weeks. As the day went on the Sunday paper would get picked over, scattered around and then we had to clean it up in time for family dinner often followed by mom's famous hot fudge sundaes. There always seemed to be something to do or not do and someone to do it with. Then in college Sundays were the day to call home, take a break from studying, hang out with the neighbors and get together for "ward prayer" at night which then lead to ice cream at someones apartment and a late night of movie watching or games. Alas, after college my Sundays were refined and perfected. I lived with some fabulous ladies (you know who you are) and our Sunday afternoons played out like clockwork: church, lunch, laughter, romantic comedy movie, laughter, nap on the couch, family time, and then end the evening with a few more laughs. LOVED those Sundays!
Now... Church is in French, hymns are in French, newspaper is in French, movies are in French, and unless I want to play checkers, games are in French. Here waffles are for dessert, the couch is also our bed, and for now, I have no girlfriends.
If you're starting to feel sorry for me, don't. I still love Sundays but now for different reasons. Here I walk and discover. There are street festivals selling beautiful works of art, fountains where both young and old gather, musicians serenading as we pass by, and a wealth of history that a lifetime of learning would but scratch the surface. This is the only day of the week though that I get homesick. I miss familiar smells, people, places. We wait until everyone back home return from church to call. While I love chatting with family over Skype, there is a growing void that only hugs can fill. ~ XOXOXOXO
Sundays used to be a day when we would sit around the kitchen table, eating mom's gourmet breakfast while dad read scriptures to us and asked about our weeks. As the day went on the Sunday paper would get picked over, scattered around and then we had to clean it up in time for family dinner often followed by mom's famous hot fudge sundaes. There always seemed to be something to do or not do and someone to do it with. Then in college Sundays were the day to call home, take a break from studying, hang out with the neighbors and get together for "ward prayer" at night which then lead to ice cream at someones apartment and a late night of movie watching or games. Alas, after college my Sundays were refined and perfected. I lived with some fabulous ladies (you know who you are) and our Sunday afternoons played out like clockwork: church, lunch, laughter, romantic comedy movie, laughter, nap on the couch, family time, and then end the evening with a few more laughs. LOVED those Sundays!
Now... Church is in French, hymns are in French, newspaper is in French, movies are in French, and unless I want to play checkers, games are in French. Here waffles are for dessert, the couch is also our bed, and for now, I have no girlfriends.
If you're starting to feel sorry for me, don't. I still love Sundays but now for different reasons. Here I walk and discover. There are street festivals selling beautiful works of art, fountains where both young and old gather, musicians serenading as we pass by, and a wealth of history that a lifetime of learning would but scratch the surface. This is the only day of the week though that I get homesick. I miss familiar smells, people, places. We wait until everyone back home return from church to call. While I love chatting with family over Skype, there is a growing void that only hugs can fill. ~ XOXOXOXO

2 comments:
It is great to have traditions but also great to start new ones!! love to hear about it and see pictures
oh, alison, i was just thinking about those sundays in houston! some of my favorite memories. i have to say, though, a french flavored sabbath sounds really really lovely.
Post a Comment