Friday, October 24, 2008

Mission Accomplished















We did it, we really did it!
Captin Aaron C. Moss is now a MBA graduate! (you'll have to have him explain the whole "captain" thing ;)

Two years ago, almost to the day is when Aaron told me that he found a graduate school with the ideal MBA program for him... then he told me the school was in France! A little less than 2 months later, Aaron received his acceptance to the ESC Toulouse Business School where he would study in the Aerospace MBA program. About a month later we were on a plane to see first hand what this school was all about and if it was the right match for him. Of course, shortly after our arrival it was clear to us that this program would not only provide him the skills and network he's been seeking but came with the added benefit of being located in a charming city in southern France! Feeling like perhaps we had bitten off more than we could chew six months later as we struggled to find a way to make it all work, Aaron stuck to his guns and in October he was on his way.

The last 12 months have come with a few challenges. We literally changed every single aspect of our lives in the hopes of pursuing something even better. Not only did living in France bring its difficulties(visa issues, language barriers, headaches, brain fatigue, lifestyle downsize... blah blah blah) it came with more benefits than we ever imagined. As I woke up the morning after graduation, my heart and mind flooded with a sense of accomplishment as I reflected on how we managed to overcome each and every obstacle placed in our path this last year. While Aaron certainly is the one who worked the hardest to earn the MBA with an admirable GPA score from one of the top 20 business schools in all of Europe (impressive isn't it!), we had unique opportunities to work hard together. France provided an education on life that has forever changed me. I offer this confession to all those who supported our efforts with such unconditional love in hopes of providing a glimpse of my greatful heart. We recognize and probably have yet to fully appreciate the emotional, financial, and academic support from here and back home we both received during the last year. We've worked hard but truly we did not do this alone.

Much to my surprise, upon our return to Toulouse this week for the graduation festivities, I learned that the very people who I recognize as my French guardian angels, consider my association with them a well-timed blessing. I was shocked to learn this as these dear friends provided me a life line during times of frustration or struggle as I learned how to adapt to my new environment and these friends were a complete blast to spend time with! How delighted I was to find out that my guilt about being such a "taker" could be softened knowing that I also gave.

So as not to focus on the challenges, as they were in reality such a small part of this experience. Instead, I woke up almost every morning loving the area in which we lived, the beauty of the architecture, the richness of its history, and the yumminess of its fresh gastronomic offerings. I have tasted some of the most delicious food and walked it off in some of the most beautiful parks. From weddings in the Mairie to music festivals on the river, no city has offered me more tantilizing entertainment than our dear Toulouse. And as if this one city wasn't excitement enough, I managed to fit in more than a dozen trips traveling to over 25 cities in Europe this year!

Is it any wonder that we're a bit in awe at how this last year has turned out for us? We came here wondering if we could survive the sacrifice of financial security, home plate advantage, and the weak dollar. The result: Aaron met his goals of an international academic and employment experience, I was able to continue my work for my father's company, we've finished the year without debt, learned a little french, met fabulous people, and I got to spend my free time cramming a lifetime of fascinating travel into 10 incredible months. I actually feel guilty now when people congratulate me on my hard work to support Aaron during this time. I just can't really find times when I had to work especially hard or sacrifice much. Perhaps though, because it's over now, I'm able to bask in the good memories while those of less happy times conveniently escape my mind.

So cheers to the recent Moss graduates! We now move on to the next chapter of our life's adventure and are enthusiastic about the opportunities we have yet to unearth.

For more pictures, click here http://picasaweb.google.com/acmoss2/Graduation#slideshow
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Blackhursts said...

Congratulations Aaron and Alison!!! We love you and can't wait to see you!!

Tyler said...

Thanks for keeping us posted on everything. We hope we will see you soon. We love you both.

Lindi said...

WAHOO! Way to go Aaron and Alison! We are happy and excited for you guys. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Unknown said...

Congratulation Alison & Aaron to survive in this crazy French city during a year :-) The Food, Orange Phone, No Spring, and so one. It was the nice time. Enjoy the life. See you again somewhere....
Pascal from Toulouse