Monday, September 15, 2008

and the beat goes on...

Today was interesting. We woke up, made ourselves some breakfast in our little hotel/apartment and then gathered up all of our things because the hotel could not accommodate us for another night. After a bit of searching we managed to find another hotel in the area so we loaded up the cars only to find out that Leah's battery was dead. Thanks mom for my AAA membership. About 30 minutes later we were on the road and at the request of my grandparents, we had lunch at Denny's. Seriously, I never thought I would be in the heart of downtown Austin and eating at a Denny's! After our meal, we arrived at our hotel only to find that there were no rooms ready and it would probably be another hour. We took a little side trip to Target to find my grandma a book and then back to the hotel this time to wait in line for another 45 minutes to get our rooms. The entire lobby was filled with Houstonians all glued to the news coverage on the hotel tv wondering what their homes and businesses really look like now. It was then that I received a phone call about the condition of our offices - not a good call but like they've been saying on the news, not a devastating call like we had feared. Our office suffered some water damage but it sounds like we may be able to get up and running sooner than later. We'll know better tomorrow I think. Fortunately, we've taken all the necessary precautions to minimize any hiccups in business should something like this happen.

Leah was able to scrounge up some swimsuits so that Kaid could get some of his energy out. Meanwhile, I was on the phone with relatives to try and figure out what we should do with my grandparents because going back to Houston with them just didn't sound like a good idea, all things considered. After several phone calls and discussing our options over dinner we decided they should fly to Baltimore to be with my aunt. Whew, one down, who knows how many other obstacles to go. I'll drop my grandparents off at the airport then make my way back to Houston. If I'm really lucky, my parent's power will be back on by the time I get home. If not, well I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

No comments: